Submission Deadline: Tuesday, January 9th, 2018
Jurying process: January 15th – 19th, 2018
Notification of Acceptance: Monday, January 22nd, 2018
Download Full Artist Call: 2018 RISE Emerging Artist Call for Submission – Final
(Partial Artist Call Below)
Exhibition Dates for RISE Emerging Artist Program 2018
Thursday, March 8th – Thursday, May 3rd, 2018
Installation – Tuesday, March 6th – Wednesday, March 7th, 2018
Opening reception – Thursday, March 8th, 2018 at 6pm
Wednesday, July 11th – Thursday, September 6th, 2018
Installation – Monday, July 9th – Tuesday July 10th, 2018
Opening reception – Thursday, July 12th, 2018 at 6pm
*Preference will be given to exhibitions that are interactive and child and youth “friendly” due to artsPlace camps programming that will be running during this exhibition period.
Wednesday, November 14th, 2018 – Thursday, January 3rd, 2019
Installation – Monday, November 12th – Tuesday, November 13th, 2018
Opening reception – Thursday, November 15th, 2018 at 6pm
artsPlace is a welcoming, user-friendly space where community can gather to explore, discover, and celebrate the adventure of art and creativity. The artsPlace Gallery is now accepting submissions for the RISE Emerging Artist Program.
The aim of RISE is to cultivate Alberta’s emerging artists by pairing an exhibition opportunity with mentorship by a local art professional. Participating artist’s will build experience in exhibition design, installation, and professional practice. This program will foster community awareness of contemporary arts and prepare emerging artists for a professional career in the arts.
An emerging artist is defined as: someone who is in the early stage of their career, (less than 5 years), has specialized training in their field (not necessarily gained in an academic institution), and who has created a modest independent body of work.
Emerging artists may include students, recently graduated students from a postsecondary institution, or someone who has made a recent career change or decision to prioritize their art practice. The artist cannot be exhibiting work with a commercial gallery, and MUST be resident of Alberta for at least a year prior to the application deadline date.
Calls for submission are open to ALL visual art disciplines, individual and collective projects.
RISE Emerging Artist Program The exhibition is 7 weeks long, allowing the selected emerging artist the opportunity to educate, exhibit, sell, and promote their artistic practice within the Bow Valley. When accepted, the emerging artist will be paired with a local artist mentor that will help guide the artist through preparation and planning for the exhibition, the installation of the exhibition, and the required artist talk and/or demonstration.
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, January 9th, 2018. Please submit one PDF file containing items 1-8 and 10 individual .jpeg images to email@example.com, subject line: RISE Emerging Artist Submission.
1. Cover Letter This letter of introduction contains current contact information including, mailing address, email, and telephone number. The letter should also indicate first and second choice for exhibition slot dates. If you are applying as a collective please list all member names and disciplines, but clearly state which person is the main contact.
2. Project description The project description should indicate the media, technique, theme and/or context of the artwork, and title of the proposed exhibit. It should be clear in the project description whether the exhibition is already a completed body of work or will need to be completed. It should also address any specific technical or spatial requirements regarding the installation of the work.
3. Artist statement/ Collective Statement 300 words maximum.
4. Curriculum Vitae Maximum 2 pages, with a font size no smaller than 10pt.
6. Corresponding Image list Image list should provide: number corresponding to file name, title of artwork, size of artwork, medium, year produced, proposed value, and if it will be part of the exhibition? (Y/N)
7. Description of Artist Talk/Demonstration A 15-20-minute artist talk, or demonstration is a requirement, please provide a short description of the proposed talk.
8. Relevant Support Material/Letter of Reference A letter of reference from someone affiliated with your art career. If relevant, please include a selection of support material, such as copies of recent reviews or publications featuring the artwork.
9. A maximum of 10 Images Each image MUST be numbered and include the initials of the artist and title of each artwork. Please submit images via email only. Files MUST be in .jpeg or other standardized format with a minimum of 500KB and maximum of 1MB. Label images: last name, first name, title of work, and number matching the corresponding image list i.e. SmithJosephineTitle1.jpg
Important Artist Information:
Exhibition will be selected based on the substance within their submission, specifically speaking to the artist’s ability to deliver a high-quality body of work with the chosen media, strength and relevance of concepts within the artist’s practice, ability to present the artist talk, and or create a community-focused demonstration. – Once selected the artist will be paired with a local artist mentor. The artist is required to provide a progress report 4 weeks prior to their exhibition installation date. – Emerging artists will receive a $500 honorarium for their participation in the RISE Emerging Artist Program. – artPlace will take a 30% commission on all artwork sold during the exhibition. – An opening reception will be provided by artsPlace. – There is NO submission fee.
Send submissions to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail, to: Attention: Programs Manager artsPlace Canmore 950 8th Ave. Canmore, AB T1W 2T1
*If submitting you application by mail, in a printed formation, you need to include your images in .jpeg format on CD or DVD. All submissions MUST be received (in hand at the artsPlace office, or email time stamped) by the deadline, failure to do so will disqualify your submission.
Contact Info: Programs Manager Kizzie Sutton 403 609 2623 x104